Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 May 2011

Supernatural Season 6 Episode 22 "The Man Who Knew Too Much" Review


Wow that was fantastic! I'm actually still in shock from how the finale ended, credit to the writers for the fantastic ending that has left me dying to see what will happen next!

To be honest, I found the first half of the episode pretty slow. I did enjoy the reveal though of what was happening with Sam and it was good to see that the writers hadn't forgotten the mental block in his head preventing all hell from breaking loose. What was shocking was how it happened, the fact that Cas did that to Sam is pretty much unforgivable. He obviously knew what was going to happen to him and this was definitely the tipping point in Castiel's turn to the dark side.

Things livened up though when Sam faced off against his soulless self. Sam hasn't really had much to do in the last few episodes so this was Jared Padalecki's chance to show how good he is and he took it with both hands, showing us the dark and the light side of Sam to great effect. I was really happy to see Sam outsmart his soulless self though, despite the suffering he is enduring I know I'd rather have Sam with no soul than Sam without one and this proves without a doubt that Dean made the right choice getting Sam's soul back back whatever the cost.  

Whatever about soulless Sam, the Sam who had seen hell was far more disturbing. The sorrow and pain in his eyes, the suffering he had endured was all plain to see on his face and Jared does a fantastic job at bringing all three different aspects of his character alive. I hope Sam will be alright after remembering the Cage, only time will tell but the ordeal he has been through looks like it will take its toll for a long time to come.

Oh Cas, what has happened to you. Our favorite angel has changed beyond recognition, first removing Sam's block from hell, then killing one of his oldest and most trusted friends Balthazar and the chilling conclusion where we meet our new and almighty God. How the hell are Dean and Sam going to take him down? I loved his double-cross of Crowley though, its been obvious to me for a while that Cas wouldn't give Crowley anything, who would want the King of Hell with that much power? His threat to Crowley was so cold, I loved his flee or die line but it was clear that Crowley wouldn't give up that easily without a fight.

The last ten minutes of the episode were among the best the show has ever produced, it was epic. Crowley came back with his army and a new buddy to take down Castiel, as soon as I saw Raphael I was full sure Cas was doomed. Crowley turning the flee or die line against Cas was brilliant and when he left I thought the episode was just going to end with Raphael and Crowley opening the doorway to Purgatory, how wrong I was.

I think Crowley was lucky in the end to get away because it was obvious Raphael, like Cas had no intention of letting Crowley get any of the souls. I was glad to see him get away though, he's a great character and I can't wait to see more of him next season. The scene where Raphael just caught the knife Dean threw made me fully realize exactly how powerful an angel he is, which definitely helped make the final scenes just that little bit more amazing. Cas showed how formidable he was when he came back and outsmarted both Raphael and Crowley, say what you want about Cas but he's far from stupid but I didn't imagine for a second what was coming next. 

Cas barely flexed his muscles and with a flick of his fingers destroyed one of the most powerful angels ever to exist, and if that wasn't enough he declared himself God and ordered his subjects to bow before him or be destroyed. I got chills watching that scene, the kind of chills you know when you're watching an amazing piece of television. It was in that moment I realised that Castiel was dead, a new God had arisen, more powerful than Lucifer or Michel by far, a God corrupted by the power he possessed and determined to wield it to destroy his enemies. The final moments, the fear in Sam, Dean and Bobby's eyes and the coldness of Castiels was perfect and emphazised just how powerful our new God is. I couldn't imagine how the writers were going to top the boys fighting Lucifer but now that they're taking on God Cas they've taken things to a whole new level.

The finale matched and in someways exceeded my very high expectations. I can't think of a better way they could have ended the season, and I can't wait to see how the boys try and bring down their greatest adversary of all. What makes it so great is that we know Castiel, we know the angel he was before and we have seen his fall into darkness. We are completely invested in his story and I cannot wait to see what he will do with his newfound powers next season. While the start of the episode was slow, I still really enjoyed it and the last half of the show is up there with the best episodes I have seen on television. It was incredible.

Review Score: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment